Serving this dish of pickled vegetables requires some planning ahead, but it rewards by refreshing the tongue with zesty, mildly spicy cucumber slices.
- 250 ml (8 fl oz / 1 cup) water
- 250 g (9 oz) sugar
- 250 ml (8 fl oz / 1 cup) rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 55 g (2 oz) ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass or more to taste, bruised and tied into a knot
- A pinch of salt
- 3 cucumbers, medium, halved lengthways, cored and sliced
- 10 shallots, peeled and quartered
- 10 bird’s eye chilies
Combine water, sugar, vinegar, ginger, lemongrass and salt in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat and leave to cool thoroughly.
Combine remaining ingredients and mix well with cooled dressing.
Refrigerate for 24 hours before serving at room temperature.